From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 22:05:57 -0800
To Dave Ljung -

>Also - I don't know if my other ferret has ECE yet, but as I understand it,
>unless I keep my ferrets separated for the rest of their lives, she will
>eventually get it.  Is this true?

Dave - What a mess!  Bilateral adrenalectomy, a UTI, and ECE?!!!  First
things first - if it is ECE, there is really no way to shield your other
ferret.  The shedding time for the ECE virus is at least 4-6 months, so
don't worry about it.  Good news is, the pred that your ferret is on for the
adrenalectomy may make it's bout of ECE less severe.  Bad news is, it is
probably worsening the UTI.  I am assuming that your ferret is on
antibiotics, also.

Be careful weaning off of the prednisone.  While there is likely a small bit
of adrenal gland remaining in your ferret (due to the inherent difficulty of
removing the right adrenal gland, you want to make sure you keep some on
hand in case your ferret decides to go into an Addisonian
(hypoadrenocortical) crisis.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath