From:
"Burkard,Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 07:54:03 PST
Brian Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote about introducing a new
ferret to his four year old ferret:

> But does anyone have any suggestions/experiences that they could
> e-mail me with to help me out with introducing these two?  They have
> only been together one day.

Brian,

It sounds like you're doing all the right things so far!  You're
not disrupting Snowflake's normal routine or access to rooms, you're
keeping the new one separated when you're not around, you're
supervising interactions... in short, it sounds like things are
going well for only one day!  :)

The first night we brought Pippi home we put her in a new cage we
had gotten to keep her separated from Squirt at first.  Squirt then
proceeded to tip-toe around Pippi's cage peeking in, sniffing, and
occasionally jumping back.  Squirt looked at us like, "What is it,
and why did you bring it home?"  Once Squirt was off doing something
else we took out little Pippi and cuddled with her and let her
explore a small part of the floor.  We pushed Pippi's cage next
to Squirt's and over the next couple of weeks interactions between the
two went from us holding Pippi and letting Squirt sniff at her to
supervised playing in a small area to supervised playing in a larger
area and on and on until we were sure that they were getting along
just fine.

Keep it up and let us know how things turn out,
Mike

Michael C. Burkard          |              _    Dancing Dookers
Work: [log in to unmask] |       _____C .._. Delightfully Digging!
Home: [log in to unmask] |  ____/     \___/  Feisty Fuzzies in a
My opinions only.           | <____/\_---\_\    Frenzied Frollick!