From:
Chuck Renaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 03:21:09 -0600
> I also picked up "Critters, USA." I was immediately drawn to the section on
> Sugar Gliders, Flying Squirrels and Degus and was VERY DISAPPOINTED at the
> lack of quality pictures of any of these!  Does anyone know how Sugar
> Gliders and Ferrets would get along as "co-pets"?  Just looking into the
> future for additional acquisitions!

Sorry if has already been answered, but there are several people I know who
have both as pets...Sugar gliders don't work well as co-pets with
ANYTHING...they're VERY timid...cats and ferrets will tear them up...usually
sugar gliders are kept in an aquarium with a screened top...they can be
brought out of the cage in low light and are pretty tame with humans...cats
and ferrets however have already claimed a few gliders from unknowing
owners...from my experience, sugar gliders don't make good pets...they're
cute and tiny and different, but their health is VERY dependent on their
happiness.  They don't like bright/direct light and they don't take well to
a lot of excitement.  I've noticed a lot of problems with breeding them
also...babies born in captivity have a pretty high occurrence of defects and
an edginess you see in high-strung purebred cats...They require a lot more
care than a majority of impulse pet owners are willing to provide...