From:
Rochelle Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 20:19:59 -0500
Two questions for all of you out there who've been through lots of ferret
surgeries before.   I know there are no hard and fast rules, but...

1.  If a ferret were going to have complications following surgery, what is
    the normal time frame for them to occur?  How likely is it that
    complications would arise more than 2-3 days post surgery?
2.  About how many days is normal ferret recovery time?

I'm debating when to schedule a surgery, and I don't want there to be any
additional stressors (visitors, car trips, etc.) while the ferret is likely
to be still recuperating (Obviously, this isn't an immediately
life-threatening problem - I have some time to play with).  I've always
heard ferrets recover quickly - would there be a great risk in taking a
ferret on a car trip with us less than a week after surgery?  (I know some
of you have driven far distances to see ferret vets for surgeries - has
anyone experienced a problem driving back with the ferret afterwards?  I
assume you don't stay in town for multiple days following the surgery?)

I greatly appreciate any experiences you can relay!

-rochelle, and
Fez (What's going on!  I *know* it hasn't been a year since the last vet
    visit!)
Falstaff (dang it all, I *used* to be able to fit in this tunnel!),
Shadow (yawn!)
P. B. Floyd (where's that dog so I can bite her?), and
Butter (Yikes!  What was that?!  Oh, just a door opening.  Eek!  What was
that?  Oh, just another ferret.  Ack!)