From:
Wendy C Bollinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 17:52:55 EST
Hi all!!  I've seen several people ask about Ferret USA on the FML.  Instead
of E-mailing everyone, here's their subscription address
        PO BOX 6050, MISSION VIEJO, CA  92690,  (714)855-8822

Tina wrote about her fuzzy escaping her Wilson-cage from the front corners.
Your not the only one!!  I have a Safegaurd cage which was Reeba's first
home.  The first 2 nights I had her she escaped.  We thought that she was
pusing open the door despite the sring lock on it.  ONe night we had some
friends over, and Reeba was suddenly in our midst!!:)  Someone had actually
seen her squeeze through on of the top hols in the front, side corners!!
MYstery solved.  We came up with a much cheaper solution though.  We, well,
my SO, simple pused in the top cross-wire in each of the four corner
squares.  We've had no more escapes, and I now use the cage to keep Reeba in
when she goes to my 5th grade classroom.

On the rabies issue, I agree with whomever said to protect yourself & the
fuzzies.  I wouldn't have even _DREAMED_ of taking Reeba into the classroom
without proof-positive that she had been vacinated.  Mad parents can be a
nightmare for a first-year teacher!!:)  She has only "bitten" one person in
the 6 months I've had her.  Funny story--

My SO & I took her to the nursing home to visit his granny.  She is quite
old & wrinkled.  Reeba seemed to really like her & vice versa.  She
eventuall started to like her arm (my granny's arm that is!) and them she
actually nibbled!!  It startled everyone.  The only thing we can figure is
that Reeba thought that her arm was a _RAISIN_!!:) No harm done, & Reeba was
a huge hit at the home!  Maybe nursing homes should consider ferrets instead
of dogs or cats as resident pets!

Enough for now.

Wendy & Reeba   <[log in to unmask]>