Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 23:10:54 -0500
From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Kathy - why did Mary pick on me?  Please send the following to her....

>Re:  Chinese Polecat Adoptions
>From: Mary Maday, Adoption Coordinator
>
>Adopters are required to check their laws before the animals may be shipped
>to their state.  There have been no problems so far.  All adoptees have
>been placed with qualified persons, who have no young children in their
>homes, have ferrets shelters, have ferret experience, or are wildlife
>rehabilitators.  They are not placed indiscriminately.

I know many of the people who have received Mary's polecats.  My statements
are based on what they have told me and my experience with other wild and
semi-tame mustelids when I did wildlife rehab (skunks, mink, weasels).  But
if "adopters" are lying to you, how will you know?  It is illegal to keep a
wild mustelid in Virginia and Maryland as a pet without a license from the
state.  I do not know about the other states.  John and I lost our wildlife
rehab license over the ranch mink we had, and we certainly do not want to
take in any other wild critters unless we can get a proper permit - which
Virginia will probably never allow us again.  Skunks, mink, polecats - all
are illegal in VA & MD, and a rehabilitators license does not cover these
animals - only an educational wildlife permit (as I was told by the Wildlife
Rescue League).

>To clear up Pam Grant's fear of reproduction, I must have each and every
>animal spayed or neutered before they can leave the state, with proof (in
>way of certification from the vet) that this has been done.

I don't think I was worried about the chinese polecats reproducing - I
already knew Mary had them altered.  I was more concerned with the European
polecat/English Ferret crosses.

>I don't understand the statement, "they will need play time - they will
>need vet visits - understanding, etc."

If a person does not feel comfortable being the only handler for a wild
animal, then will it be left in a cage to live the rest of its life?  If
your regular vet does not see exotics or wild animals, is the caretaker of a
polecat going to find another, probably more costly, vet?  Can you find a
vet with experience in wild mustelids?  If the Chinese polecat bites someone
other than you, will that person be understanding and not demand its head?
There are so many more factors involved in caring for these animals than
some might expect.

>They respond well to humans if the human gives them enough time and
>attention.

You said it.  I don't have time to devote to a project like this, even if I
could have a polecat - I have a ferret shelter to run, abused and neglected
ferrets needing my interaction, 8 cats to care for, phone calls to answer,
the FML and e-mail to respond to, a full time job in the outside world - if
you are wondering why I have not applied - the reasons are above.

Pam Grant