From:
Marilyn Sev <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 14:27:03 -0500
I received a personal response from HSUS today and want to share it.  I
wonder how many of us got the same thing???

Thank you for writing to The Humane Society of the United States to learn
our position on keeping ferrets as pets.  [I didn't ask their position].  I
have enclosed a copy of our statement on this subject.

The HSUS recognizes that domestic ferrets have become increasingly popular
as pets in recent years.  However, we strongly believe that ferrets need
specialized care and can be more challenging than many new ferret owners
realize.

In cases where owners do not have the time or patience to deal with the
unique or unexpected behaviors of their pets, the animals may suffer by
being ignored, cared for improperly, or abandoned.  For instance, keeping
ferrets in a humane environment is a challenge, because they should not be
confined to a cage all of the time, but they need close supervision when
allowed out of their enclosures.

Basically, the goal of The HSUS is to prevent animal suffering rather than
to promote the popularity of particular types of companion animals.  Because
10-12 million animals enter shelters each year, we encourage adoption of
pets from shelters rather than purchases from breeders or pet stores.  As
the number of ferrets bred and kept as pets grows, so does their abandonment
in shelters and elsewhere.  Therefore, we do not support the breeding or
acquisition of ferrets as companion animals.

In short, The HSUS does not believe ferrets are suitable pets for most
people.  That is not to say a ferret cannot be kept humanely as a companion
animal, but it takes a special individual to adequately meet a ferret's
special needs and provide humane care.

We appreciate hearing from you.  Please let us know if we can be of future
assistance.

Sincerely,

Debra Firmani
Companion Animals

Then the enclosure "Statement on Ferrets as Companion Animals" dated October
1992.

Her address is:
Debra Firmani
The Humane Society of the United States
2100 L Street, NW
Washington, DC  20037
(202)452-1100
FAX (202)778-6132

Anyone care to join in a letter writing campaign?  Maybe some pictures would
be nice.  Let's not flame her, let's educate her!

Blessings to all you wonderful people and a terrific new year for your little
fuzzy ones.  They are truly the BEST pets on this earth!

Marilyn