From:
Garth Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 15:19:47 -0600
>From:    "Tanana M. Reynolds" <[log in to unmask]>
>Second, I know that cats and ferrets can get along, but can they use the
>same litter box or do they need their own?

Well, as far as the cedar chips, I don't know.  But cats and ferrets can get
along and use the same litter box, but you might introduce the cat to the
ferret very slowly.  Perhaps get the ferret to use the litter box in his/her
cage for a while until the cat gets adjusted.  My girlfriend's dog didn't
like not being the only pet with a great amount of attention needed, and got
jealous quick.  But, later she adjusted to it (although she still doesn't
know what it is).

>Third, if I have a problem with them getting into things how long can they
>be in a cage and not get mean or unfriendly.

You can keep them in the cage for a long time.  They don't mind it too much.
If they are young, definitely don't let them roam around unwatched.  I left
town and my girlfriend somehow let the ferret explore the area under the
dishwasher!!!!!  Bad ferret!  Don't chew on the wires.  Ferret-proofing your
home or apartment is neccessary for any ferret, but pay extreme attention to
it if you are buying a young'un.  Most older ferrets don't like electrical
wires, but to young ferrets who are teething, electrical cords are chewable
and perfectly electrocuting.  Just be careful.  And about that smell, as
long as they are descented, things will be fine.  They do have a slight
odor, but it is not offending, and as long as you wash it once a week (like
a long-haired dog) it will be fine.  In fact, I think their food (Marshall
Farms food, at least) smells worse than their litter box!  Happy ferreting!
Garth Williams [log in to unmask] Austin, Tx