From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 14:56:51 -0500
Distemper in SC:
I have to limit what I say out of a right of privacy owed the ferret owners.
Ther ferrets striken were innoculated with Fervac-D at 8, 10 and 12 weeks.
This is not the schedule as defined by United who makes Fervac-D.  It is not
known (by me anyway) whether it was an exposure or vaccine induced problem.
If vaccine induced the question of why only here comes forth.  If exposure
again why no other reported cases.  Hopefully work being done might answer
the questions.

We personally continue to use Fervac-D only becauser this is the ONLY
approved distemper vaccine for ferrets.  If Solvay were to obtain approval
we would definitely consider it but not until then.  We know others who have
chosen the same course as us.  We likewise know those who have chosen to not
use Fervac out of a fear of reactions.  Sorry I can not make a 'completely
safe' recommendation even with the input of the many vets I have talked to
about this issue.

Ellie's ferret's color:
I'm sorry I am not getting a complete enough picture to give a guess.  Is
the color more like a milk chocolate bar or more like chicken or turkey
gravy?  A chocolate is the color of milk chocolate.  A Champagne is the
color of poultry gravy.  A sable is the color of black coffee.  A cinnamon
is the color of cinnamon sugar.  (well these ar easonable approximations
anyway) A pattern with much darker legs and tail is called a point.  With
slightly darker points is called a standard and a even color on body and
points is called a solid or self.  A Siamese is a fine point with a V shaped
mask and a zipper on the belly.

Celebreties with ferrets:
Not sure how much help it would be but those I've heard of having ferrets
include David Carradine (Kung Fu), James Doohan (Scotty) and Michael Jackson
(the singer).

Lori asked about supplementing diets:
Meat supplements for ferret diets are not necessary if you use a good food
(such as Iam's Kitten) We choose do add supplements but others choose not
to.  Balanced supplements are necessary if used as much of the diet.  Also
remember not needed is not the same as not good.  Some benefits of enriching
the diet seem to be stronger bones and better muscle tone.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets