From:
Harber Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 11:22:49 EDT
Hi all,
>From:    MR ANG DONG <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pet Store -vs- Breeder

>My reasoning is that I may get a fuzzie with better genetics at a breeder
>then at a pet store.

What I've been curious about are the German hobs that Pam Grant got a year
or so ago.  I guess its too soon to tell, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Pam, have you been able to tell if your first generation American ferrets
are any more healthy than the others?

I remember some disscussion here about the relatively small gene pool for
American ferrets.  Of course, it was also mentioned that early neutering,
lack of natural light, and the fact that we don't give them "whole raw
rabbit" (see FML issue 745) are also important factors.

As for our own teleporting story: Mark & I came into the ferret room a few
weeks ago to find potting soil everywhere and Nico having a grand time
INSIDE the chicken wire we have covering the palm tree pot.  She didn't
seem to be able to get out (but then she wasn't really trying, either) and
we couldn't find a spot in the wire that would fit her (two layers of wire
with additional wire threaded thru to reduce all openings to about 1 inch
diameter).  Mark ended up pulling the wire off (which wasn't easy, he had
done a darn good job putting it on), and extracting the beast while I
cleaned up all the dirt.  After we got everything back to normal we decided
to watch the scene of the crime for a little while.  It turns out that we
had the palm tree too close to the arm chair.  Nico was able to get a good
perch above the chicken wire and basically dive thru the 1 inch diameter
opening to get to that amusement park we call dirt.  We moved the palm tree
away from the chair, and haven't had the problem again.  These guys are
VERY good at what they do.

I have the greatest picture of Nico and one of these days I'll send it in
to the ferret photo gallary so you all can see it.  I'm sure you'll all
agree that she is the most beautiful chocolate ferret ever born :^] (we
would put her in a show but Mark doesn't want her to loose the values and
priorities we've tried to instill, she's enough of a princess as it is).

Thanks to all for advice on Gunther.

Norris,
for Mark ("This house is only standing because of duct tape and panelling."),
Nico ("Now, if the trajectory angle is theta, then I simply need an
        altitude of . . ."),
Gunther ("Forget it, lets just break down the door, there are stairs
        outside that door, I tell you!  STAIRS! And Cobwebs! And holes in
        the walls!"),
Ozzie ("Can we go over the plan again?  I've forgotten step 1.")