From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 23:50:22 EST
The very essence of the FML is our sharing of observations, opinions, facts
and folklore about ferrets.  Certainly, describing medical problems and the
solutions you've all found to be helpful is useful and appreciated.  And the
advice of the many fine veterinarians is certainly tremendously appreciated.

One thing which is very important is to recognize that we're all approaching
things from different perspectives.  The way something is phrased can make a
big difference in the impression it leaves a reader.  Making it clear that a
posting is an opinion and perhaps backing it with a description of related
experiences builds respect and lets the reader know where you're coming from.
Stating an opinion as if it were fact can send a totally different message
even though the bottom line is really the same.

I think the Kinsey post that started this controversy is a very useful post
if taken as an opinion.  Some people (including me) seem to disagree with
SOME of the information in it, but there is much good info there no matter
how you look at it, as well as constant reminders to see a good vet.  And I
must also give equal time to the anonymous vet who fears that some people
might take the entire post as 100% fact and end up doing more harm than
good.  Frankly, I doubt that would happen, but that's the vet's opinion and
he can certainly state it.  I also would encourage people to question some
of the blanket statements made (e.g. I don't agree that it's difficult for
ferrets to vomit) but don't lose sight of the good information and intention
of the posters.

I think this would be easier if we all remember that it's our "job" to share
experiences and beliefs.  There are going to be differences of opinion and
that's one of the things that makes this list so valuable... in my opinion.

Perhaps above all, remember that every ferret is an individual.  What works
for one likely isn't correct for all.  Often there just aren't certainties.
That's another reason this forum is so valuable - if we know more about the
possibilities and the risks I think we can greatly improve the odds.

Bill