From:
"Charlene M Lowe (Charlene Lowe)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 1995 10:50:36 -0600
To Joy
>First off, as my permanent residence is in St Paul, MN I would appreciate
>any more information on the permit one has to have to own a ferret there.

This rule is not being enforced in St.  Paul unless there are complaints or
a bite incident reported, I understand.  Right now the rule states that you
must get permission from all of your neighbors (as in going around and
getting signatures from them) and have your house inspected once a year with
no notice by city officials and pay a yearly exotic animal permit fee to
keep ferrets in St.  Paul.  However, this rule is not being actively
enforced (this is how I understand it - but don't take my word) because it
has been found unconstitutional in that it violates privacy or some such
thing when it involves private property searches with no notice.

>And my second question, is if anyone might know of ferret shelters or the
>like not to far away from either St Paul, MN or Iowa.

MFA (or Minnesota Ferret Association)
P.O. Box 243
Wyoming, MN 55092
612-462-5597

These are nice people (Katie Loween & husband - but cannot remember his name
- I think are founders). Do not be shocked that they live far away from the
Twin Cities. If you are willing to adopt I believe they will come to you.
This is only "shelter/rescue/assoc/etc" in MN that I have ever heard of.
And while I am on the subject there is an excellent ferret vet clinic in St.
Paul that you should go to: Como Park Animal Hospital, 1014 Dale, St. Paul,
612-487-3255. They are really really good. The best emergency clinic for
ferrets is the one by the capital on 301 University 612-293-1800.

Remember Mpls is FFZ (though again not really enforced without complaints or
bites) however St. Louis Park is very very ferret friendly, ferrets are not
only quoted as legal they have no quarantine period after bite incident if
up to date on vacc). Charlene