From:
"Charlene M Lowe (Charlene Lowe)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:03:20 -0500
>From:    "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
>I was wondering if someone could give me any info on special care
>of my somewhat elderly ferret.  Also, what IS the expected life
>span of ferrets,I've heard from as low as 6-9, and as high as 11-14!!

Our Granny will celebrate her 12th birthday in a couple months. The major
recommendation I have for caring for an elderly ferret is to provide them
with dignity. Our Granny has a little difficulty cleaning herself so we help
her to stay clean. She also is unable to use the stairs, so rather than just
carry her up, we help her to climb them (she puts her paws on the step and
we boost up her butt, one stair after another). When she reaches the top,
she is SO proud. She does not eat so great by herself (she tends to fall
asleep before getting enough nourishment) so we help her to eat - we let her
go to the food bowl herself and feed herself and then when she begins to get
tired we hold her and help her finish a little bit more). Older ferrets seem
to really respond to being held. She sleeps a lot (A LOT) so we try to
involve her by carrying her around in a basket even when she is sleeping so
she can hear our voices and feel our warmth and be a part of the family,
instead of just sleeping her life away in a corner. Older ferrets need to be
enticed to play a little bit, otherwise they withdraw. As far as daily
health maintenance - Granny needs to be sprayed with a coat conditioner
periodically to keep her coat nice, we put Vitamin E on the pads of her feet
to keep them soft, her nails need to be trimmed more often so she doesn't
get caught on things (because she doesn't have the strength to get
un-caught), she needs oil on a daily basis - linatone or omega 3 oils to
keep her skin soft, we feed her a lower protein adult cat food to help her
aged kidney. You must stay on top of her physical health also and treat
problems immediately. We weigh granny every couple of days to help with
this. Immediately when her weight drops we start her on a duck soup type
diet to keep her strength up. We are now giving her colloidal silver (a
couple drops per day) to boost her immune system. And she gets annual blood
work at the vet too. Another thing to be aware of, older ferrets have less
success getting to the litterbox "on time". You just cannot reprimand a much
older ferret for missing. They become fearful very easily and will hide from
you if you raise your voice with them. We do not separate her from the young
ferrets. I think it is important that she have interaction with her ferret
family, however a little supervision is required. It is amazing what respect
our young ones have for her. They tiptoe around her giving her little licks.
Regarding lifespan - someone did a lifespan survey on the FML, was it Rudy
the Ferlosopher? Maybe they can give you more info. My feeling is that 8-9
is normal. 12 is above and beyond and 6 is a bit premature. What is
especially sad is ferrets who die at age 2 or 3 of cancer. This is a
tragedy. Good luck. Charlene