From:
"Anna M. Adam (Spear)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 23:46:41 -0500
Robert and Andrea,
    I had a problem with my kids digging out their food and scattering it
everywhere too.  I bought one of those J feeders from Ferret Outfitters and
attached it to the side of their cage.  The trick was to put it HIGH on the
side.  If my babies want food, they have to get up on their hind legs, grab
the edge of their feeder with their front paws and dunk their heads in.
They CAN'T dig out the food because there's a lip on the feeder and because
of the balancing act they would have to perform.  I put a smaller dish
underneath the feeder so they can put the food they want in their mouths,
pull their heads out of the feeder and drop it in the lower dish so they
can munch.  The only time I had a problem was when K-Nack, Rogue and Gambit
were kits.  I made the feeder a bit TOO high and had to put a dish in there
for them.  Right now, no ferret has a problem at all getting food, and I
don't have any waste.  Good luck with the little diggers!

Anna