From:
"Burkard,Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 06:36:45 PST
Jim Lee <[log in to unmask]> wrote with lots of questions
about adopting a ferret...

Well, Jim, I'd say give a shelter a call and ask them some questions about
their adoption process.  Go out and take a look at their shelter and the
ferrets there.

If the selter has no ECE problems, then you might want to consider taking
your current ferret with you either the first time you go to the shelter or
after you've found a ferret there you're interested in to see how the two do
when introduced.

As far as introducing a new ferret to one already in the home, take it
slowly at first.  Let them be together only under supervision to see how
things go.  Try holding one and letting the other come over to investigate.
There'll be some rough wrestling as they try to establish the pecking order,
but as long as no one's biting-and-shaking or is going to get poked in they
eye or get an ear torn they'll be okay.  Our Atlas made the poor decision to
challenge our Squirt the first night we had brought Atlas home -- Squirt
never let Atlas forget that decision for a long time thereafter, but they've
worked it out.

>I'd really like to see two ferrets running around the room playing with
>each other.

Yeah, we have four of the little fuzzbeans and they're quite a cute,
bouncing, chuckling, bundle of fun!  :)

Enjoy,
Mike

Michael C. Burkard           |  All I needed to know in life I
Work: [log in to unmask]  |  learned from my ferrets:
Home: [log in to unmask]  |  Dance for joy often, play often, and
My opinions only.            |  be determined in your ventures.