From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 15:20:29 -0500
>My boyfriend has(had) 3 ferrets (heywood, logan and madeline).  He is
>pretty rough with them at times and this frightens me... but I wonder if he
>died because my boyfriend likes to toss them around a bit when the're bad.

It is not usual for people to strike their animals in anger.  I certainly
never get "rough" with my baby except when we are playing, and he gets
rough with me!  However, when he's naughty, I simply cage him or tell him,
"NO!" I firmly believe that the way people treat their animals reflects
thier relationships with human beings.  So, in addition to being upset that
your boyfriend is hurting his pets, I'm pretty concerned about you and your
relationship with him.  Loathe as I am to offer advice over the net, I will
say that you two have more problems than a sick fuzzy.  You can work out
the moral and legal implications of stealing your boyfriend's ferrets for
yourself.  I wonder if he wouldn't give them to you, though if you offered
to take them.  He doesn't seem to even like Logan.  If you don't want them
yourself, you can then find a better home for them.  Beyond that, if I were
dating this fellow, I would turn and run the other way.  That is not a man
I would choose to share my home or be the father of my future children.
Compassion for him should not recquire you to sacrifice your own health or
happiness.

I'm sure there are also legal steps you could take to have the ferrets
removed, but that would also recquire you to answer some questions about
your relationship.  Good luck.  I hope everything goes well for you.

--Catherine Shaffer