From:
Matthew Colmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 16:10:22 -0600
To John aka Dr. Zeus:

    the best thing I learned when bringing home a new fuzzy buddy and how to
litter train him is this: each time you take him out of the cage or each
time after he wakes up, makes sure he goes before he comes out.  If he
ventures toward the corner without the box, pick him up and plop him into
the box.  Continue this until he goes and don't let him out until such time.
If he goes where you want him to, reward him with some ferretoone or other
favorite treat.  Hopefully, and this is a big one, if you do this during the
first few weeks he learn to use the box each time he wakes or each he comes
from out of the cage after being "locked" up for a while.  Beware, however,
that he may learn to trick you by faking it just for a treat.

    Good luck with your potty training!

P.S.  I just remembered one way I was told to determine the age of your
ferret.  It relates to the size and color (I think) of his teeth.  Check
with your local vet.