From:
MR ANG DONG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 18:20:27 EDT
Hi all!

Margaret it sounds like what you described is Screw Worm.  I live in NY and
was a Vet technician for three years and Screw Worm, although not common,
was something that we saw to much of!  The larva comes to be when a fly
lays it's eggs on the animals skin, the eggs hatch and then the larva
proceeds to burrow into the animal and use them as well as a nutrionary
substance.  Not exactly the most appitizing thing!  Generally we saw these
cases on animals that had run away or were just plain neglected, but then
again we live in different states so the fly may be more common where you
are.  But in any case the animals were always exposed to the outside for
some period of time.  BTW I have seen Screw Worm in cats, dogs, a rabbit
and even a goat.  So if you're keeping your fuzzies outside just be sure to
check them daily to make sure that they have nothing in their fur!  It is
definitely something that can be avoided - THANKFULLY!!!  ( Screw Worm is
something I definitely don't miss!!!)

I have been reading about Heartworm preventative for the past couple of
days and was wondering if this a common problem amongst ferrets?  My dog
is on Heartworm year round because of mild winters that we have been
having, and I was just wondering if I should be concerned about Nikki even
though she spends 97% of her time indoors?  I do however like to take her
out for walks in the summer, so should I be concerned or is this mostly
for ferrets kept outdoors?

One last thing, Nikki has a little sweet thing that she does - she grooms
me.  Every time I pick her up she cleans my eyebrows for me and now she is
doing this with my SO.  Does anyone else have a fuzzie with a grooming
fetish or is Nikki just telling me I need to wash my face better?

Sorry this got so long and sorry about the grossness of the first part!!

fuzzie kisses to all who have lost a beloved fuzzet or are nursing a
sick baby.

Jaya (The guarder of the Ferritone)
Ang  (The raisin counter)
& Nikki - BBBBBLLLLLLAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!  I hate buggas!!  But I LOVE
eyebrows!!!!!  :>