From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 10:36:13 -0700
A couple of my guys (Grendel and Boomer) have always been big on pawing the
rim of their bowls.  It seems that they're trying to knock it over, since
they'll stop and lick up the water if they manage to spill it.  They haven't
been able to knock the bowls over for a while, since I've been getting
larger and heavier water bowls.  I've seen other ferrets who like to do
this, so it does seem like some kind of instinctive behavior.  They also
seem to prefer licking fresh water drops from some surface (tub, sink,
faucet, me, etc.) to drinking from a bowl or a water bottle.

We only have one consistent "snorkeler," Gilbert, the discount ferret.
When we used to change the aquarium water, there would be a big bucket of
water on the floor where he could reach it.  He'd climb up over the edge,
maybe even hang by his rear feet, stuck his face underwater past his ears,
and stir vigorously with his whole body.  When we'd "rescue" him, he'd just
climb up and do it again.  The others will occasionally stick their faces
underwater just past their whiskers, but only Gilbert is so enthusiastic.
None of them particularly like baths, except Grendel who thinks baths are a
great opportunity to eat soap.

I too would like to know the origin of the pawing-at-water-dishes and
snorkeling behaviors, so if anyone knows or has any theories, pipe up!

Dennis,
Grendel, Miss Lily, Gilbert, Diesel, and Boomer