From:
"Bruce Panowski, CST-14, 7-1740" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 08:33:34 -0600
Like many who have written in, we are also new ferret owners, and are
learning more about them every day.  The FML has been an excellent source of
information, and is in fact the reason we decided to bend under the pressure
of our 12-year old's constant pressure and finally purchase one.  We called
a ferret 'contact' in Albuquerque, and when we mentioned we were looking for
a female, she emphatically told us, "Be sure not to let the vet charge you
for descenting, because females do not have scent glands!"  Well, we took
that with a grain of salt, because 1)I had not read anything of the like
anywhere, and 2) thanks to FML, we did not plan on descenting anyway.  Last
Saturday, our 12-week old jill accidentally had her tail stepped on, and we
now know for certain our Albuquerque 'contact' was misinformed.

Fortunately, after a half hour of open windows and doors, we were back to
normal; but for us it was a real eye-opener (eye-waterer?).  Lest this
concerns potential ferret owners, the experience was not enough for us to
reconsider descenting, and we feel the spraying was just an involuntary
response to the shock of having her tail nailed.

One question still lingers with us though.  The literature seems to vary on
when to expect her first heat.  We want to get her spayed before the heat,
but wait as long as we can.  When should we start thinking about taking her
in?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bruce