From:
Christa Besherse - Residence Life <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 20:17:10 CDT
I'm a few days behind on the FML, so excuse me if this is an old topic.

I have a 3 year old, male albino that digs constantly.  About a year and a
half ago, I made the decision to have him declawed.  Yes, they do have to
take the nail from the first joint, and when the proceedure was finished I
actually cried when I picked him up.  I felt sorry for him because he was so
groggy and he had those little bandages around his front feet (I opted not
to have him declawed in the back).  He acted like his toes were sore for a
couple of days, as he had good reason!  Anyway, withing the week he was back
to normal and doing everything he had always done.  I have absolutely no
regrets about my decision, as Pete and I have a much happier relationship
now.  He doesn't get spanked for ruining my carpet and I don't get mad for
him digging in the carpet (he enjoys it just as much now as ever).

I tried other methods to stop the clawing (ie.  bitter apple, covering it,
etc.) but he would find a way to get around it (he doesn't mind bitter
apple, go to where covering stops and dig there, and so on and so on).  I
don't know what the individual situations are, but with us it was either
cage confinment (a fate worse than death if you can actually _keep_ him in
one), ruined carpet, or declaw.  The decision is a very personal one and
must be weighed heavily.  I chose to have a frontal declaw and believe that
that was the best decision for me and Pete!

cj - "Pete, you have to be in the cage while momma's at work!"
&
Pete - "If you stick me in there, I'll rip off the latch again!!!"