From:
Pam Dutcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 16:01:20 -0400
Hi everyone,

I thought that as long as we are talking about household dangers, I'd
tell you about one I haven't ever seen discussed before.  It's the Python
aquarium siphon, so this will probably only be of interest to those of
you who keep fish.  (Before you skip this post because you can't bear
to read another sad story, the fuzzy is OK!)

The Python is a wonderful device used for quickly changing aquarium
water--it's basically a really long clear tube.  One end attaches to a
sink, and the other end has a "nozzle" on it that is just big enough for
a ferret to worm into.  When the sink is turned on, pressure builds up,
and suction is created, and you can now vacuum all kinds of gunk out of
your aquarium gravel and it goes right down the drain!

One night, Eric and I were cleaning tanks and laid the Python out in front
of a tank.  The ferrets usually help with this, so we didn't think much
about them twining around our feet and inspecting everything.  Then we went
to the bathroom and turned on the sink, and upon returning, saw Sonic stuck
in the Python, about halfway inside it, with a pool of blood in front of her
face.  Extreme panic set in, and one of us ran to turn off the sink, and the
other tried to get Sonic out.  Because of the suction, it was impossible to
pull her out, so I tore the Python apart.  She came out almost unconscious,
and making horrible gurgling/gasping/wheezing sounds.  This was Sunday
night, and our vet's emergency policy was to use an emergency clinic that
was about a 30 min.  drive away.  We didn't think she'd live that long, so
we called the nearest vet, and amazingly enough, they agreed to see us and
met us at the clinic ten minutes later.

Turns out, one of her nostrils was basically turned inside out (OUCH!!), but
her lungs were amazingly undamaged, probably because she was only in there
for 5 or so seconds, tops.  We both shudder to think what would have
happened had she been in there even seconds longer.  We figure she must have
been inside the Python when the sink was turned on, otherwise it wouldn't
have "caught" her.  Sonic was acting normally just a couple of hours after
the accident, and except for some bruising on her nose, gums, and lips, was
completely unharmed.  Amazing!  She was, in fact, trying to crawl inside the
Python again that same night.  Idiot!

So, if you use a Python, never ever lay it on the ground while the sink
is turned on!

Sorry this is so long.  Scritches to all the fuzzies!

        -Pam                            ...a ferret in the hand is worth two
        [log in to unmask]            in the socks drawer...
        along with Sonic, Sunny, and Willard!
        http://www.unc.edu/~pjdutche/ferret.html