From:
Brian Canals <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 23:31:28 -0400
The following is not ferret related, but knowing everyone's big hearts I
feel sure no one will grump to much.  I need some help from Dr Williams or
Dr Weiss (sorry I couldn't find your e-mail address).  The pound gave me a
baby squirrel that was found after the storm.  Norman is little bitty, his
eyes aren't even open yet.  He's begining to develop brown fur on his nose
and eye lids.  I'm feeding him ProSobee powder mixed according to the
directions.  He's getting fed about 5 times a day, but he only takes about 1
to 1 1/2 tsp at each feeding.  He urinates and deficates well.  He started
squeaking today, I took that to be a good sign.  I have him on top of a
heating pad with "many" layers between him and the pad and I regularly check
to ensure he doesn't get to hot or burnt.  He wasn't on the pad the first
two days and he seems to have improved since getting the warmth from it.  My
questions are, how much should he be eating, how often?  When should he open
his eyes, how do you age a new born squirrel?  I was reading the label on
the formula, there is only 100 calories per 5oz (much more than he
consumes), do I need to do something to increase his nutritional intake?  I
worry that without high intake of calories he won't have the strength to
grow.  He's active, likes to grab and hold on to me, unfortunately do to our
circumstances here, I haven't been able to cuddle him as much as he wants, I
also worry about cuddling him to much since he will be turned loose when
appropriate.  However, he has started to eat and sleep better with some TLC,
and as much as I don't want to train him to like people, I'm afraid that not
getting it will warp him and get him off to a bad start in life also, after
all, he is a baby.  I also need advice for weaning him and when to start and
advice for helping him to be self sufficient and how to go about releasing
him.  Just as everyone doesn't love ferrets, some people don't like
squirrels and I don't want him wandering up to them.  Any one with advice,
email me at [log in to unmask]