Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 17:35:54 -0500
From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
I'm just a ferret newcomer, only having the honor of "owning" ferrets for
the last two years (I am now "owned" by five tube-dogs).  I have been
spurred to write over the bathing issue.

First, if you look between a ferret's toes you will find a sheet of skin,
similar to the webbing between a duck's toes.  This is a trait of animals
who spend a significant portion of their lives in and about water.  This is
found in most mustelids, such as sea and river otters, weasels, stoats,
mink, fisher and martin.  I have seen it in skunks, but not as developed as
in the ferret, and even less developed in the larger mustelids, such as the
badger.

Second, the oily secretion that coats and protects the fur of the little
guys is also a trait of animals that get wet on a frequent basis.  It
waterproofs the fur and helps to trap air, allowing the animal to go into
water for food or escape, yet preventing water from reaching the skin.
This is important because the risk of hypothermia is far greater in smaller
animals; they don't hold their heat well.

Third, like humans, ferrets have to be taught to like the water; in the
wild they learn by example (Yeah, I know, ferrets are domestic.  Still,
they originated from the polecat, and feral colonies do exist in New
Zealand and Britain).  Ferrets raised in cages rarely experience water,
except for what comes out of the end of a leaky bottle, and usually react
poorly to their first bathing experience.  Turn the experience into a
game, and once they learn water won't hurt them, they will swim in the dog
dish, (which may not be as funny to the dog).

The problem is not water, but soap, which removes the hair oils, allowing
water to reach the skin of the ferret.  (This explains why ferrets tend to
smell stronger AFTER a bath; the skin is stimulated to replace the lost
oils.) The risk of hypothermia is worse than the danger of dry skin, but
the long term stress of frequently chilling the ferret is also a danger,
especially in those animals that are afraid of the water and already have
emotional stress.

However, (not to worry, Nicole Barnes), I wash my ferrets with baby shampoo
TWICE a week.  (YES, 2 TIMES!) They are healthly, unstressed, their skin is
normal, fleas are not a problem, and they don't stink.  They have NEVER been
ill, not so much as a cold, and my vet is very impressed by the health,
fitness, and general disposition of the polish dogs.  They not only enjoy
the bathing; dooking, biting the water, jumping, diving, chasing floating
ping-pong balls, etc., but they REALLY enjoy the next part, which is about a
half hour of hair rubbing, plucking, brushing, and general affection.  Then
they are off and running to the dust box, for a roll in good clean dirt,
even more energetic than before (think of a ferret on speed...)

In other words, bathing or not bathing is an individual choice, and should
be made according to individual needs.  The frequency of bathing is rather
unimportant, and is clearly secondary to the precautions to be taken
during bathing. If you have the time and take the proper precautions,
bathing ferrets can be a rewarding experience to both the ferret and the
large raisin dispensers they love to bite. (Which may be just the medicine
for those who desire just a bit more affection from their cat-snakes; wet
animals will instinctually groom = petting = affection.)

By the way, the bathing habits of my carpet-sharks is not because the smell
of ferret is offensive to me; I'm a mammalogist and have smelled far worse.
(Trust me; I specialize in comparative osteology...don't ask what smells...)
Besides, once accustomed to the odor, it becomes unnoticed.  I have been
upwind of rotting whales and forgot about the odor after a few minutes (ok,
a few hours).  If you don't believe me, just ask the occasional visitor to
your home, unaccustomed to the smell of ferrets.  I have to take special
precautions for my fuzzies because I live in a ferret-free zone, and my
neighbor has a rather delicate nose.  I can't afford to move until AFTER the
PhD...

Bob Church, et. al.
(Moose, Stella, Daye, Tori, and Bear)
Bear says, "Hi!"