From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 18:23:30 -0500
Several people e-mailed me about how I managed to get my fuzzies to like
the water.

I purchased a small plastic infant wading pool and covered the inside
"floor" with exterior carpet/astroturf.  I place inside a couple of
concrete builders' bricks; the rectangular type with the two large holes.
Water proof toys are tossed into the "pond", such as pingpong balls, small
inflated balls, squeak toys; anything that will float.

For a beginning swimmer, at first I just get the carpet wet.  They daily get
to play on the wet turf until they no longer seem to mind the dampness.  It
is important to make the "pond" very attractive to them at this time; I give
special treats [home-made jerky-no salt, dried cranberries, prunes, raisins,
and the cat food they can't have].  Also, their time is limited in the pond,
so it is something they want to investigate.  I always take them out before
they are ready to quit.

Once they ignore the dampness, I gradually add water; a thin film, up to the
ankles, under the belly.  etc.  I have found there are three basic hurdles;
getting used to the dampness, getting used to ankle-deep water, and getting
used immersion.  I never force them into the water; it is always their idea.
I just encourage it by throwing toys, placing treats on top of the center
brick, etc.  (I keep one brick next to the edge so it is easy to excape the
pond.  I forgot to mention the brick is also covered with astroturf).

I have found that with daily introductions to the pond, the carpet-sharks
move into the aquatic phase within a few weeks.  The process is much
faster when the newcomer watches more experienced playmates take the plunge.

There is nothing better than watching the fuzzys bounce in the water,
killing floating balls, and shaking water out of their noses.  I am usually
rolling on the ground with laughter in a few moments; until I am covered
with wet beasties wanting to get in on the joke.

It is important to dry and groom the little nippers afterwards.  I will
sometimes set up a heat lamp about two feet off the floor, angled so the
light heats up a pile of towels.  (Remember to prevent hypothermia, not
treat it).

Bob
Moose (3 yrs), Stella (3 yrs), Daye (2 yrs), Tori (8 mths), and Bear (2
years).

Stella says, "Don't make me run.  I'd rather float!"

PS to the anonyous writer:  You are right about the first three.  Tori is
short for puTORIus (I was going to name her Puto, but I thought better of
it... ;} ).  Bear is just a bear, 4.5 lbs, and BIG!