From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 23:25:03 -0400
Kathleen,
Sorry for the delayed reply.
>Has anyone had success with adrenal surgery?

Yes.  Adrenal gland surgery is very successful and cures the symptoms (hair
loss, swollen vulva, muscle weakness, thin skin, lethargy,etc.) The success
of the surgery is based on the following factors (an experienced ferret
surgeon, isoflurane anesthesia, heart monitor, antibiotics).

>Can ferrets live with one adrenal gland?

Yes.  Most of the time the tumor only involves one adrenal gland (usually
the left).  These are the easiest to remove and ina case like this ahe
entire gland should be removed.  The right adrenal is very close to the vena
cava (large blood vessle).  Occasionally it is only the right gland that has
a tumor.  When this is the case the treatment of choice is removal of the
entire right gland.  (this is very technical and should be performed by an
experienced surgeon).  This situation also has a very good prognosis.
Occasionally both glands have a tumor.  In my experience the best treatment
in this situation is to remove the entire left gland and 1/2 of the right
gland.  I have never seen a problem with this technique.  The ferrets go
back to there playful selves and regrowth of the tumor does not usually
occur.

> Is this surgery routine or does it have a high complication rate?

This surgery is routine with a very low complication rate when performed
under the proper circumstances (mentioned above).

Another benefit of this surgery is the examination of the pancreas, spleen
and other organs for signs of problems at the same time.

If you have other questions feel free to contact me.

Dr Weiss
301-299-4142