From:
David Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 18:51:46 -0700
Okay.  I swear my ferrets have been bodysnatched.  Helen the independent
one is now the snuggly lemme groom you and curl up and sleep in your lap
ferret while Ceridwen has gone completely loopy. (she's sick too I think
so maybe thats why)

Okay.  here are her symptoms.

1. They have both had occassional sniffles n sneezes over the past couple
weeks probably caught from me when I was sick a month ago but they have
not seemed hindered in any way by it.

2. They both started shedding their coats a couple weeks ago also, not
related incidents with 1.  Helen has become darker and seems quite normal
while Ceridwen is losing brushfuls of fur daily, in fact, her tail which
was quite full yesterday morning was almost half bald when I came home.
She has been grooming and biting and licking herself extensively as well.
*sigh*

3. Over the past two days she has begun to absolutely REEK! of what I
have no idea, almost like a sick smell I guess.  Gave her her 10 day bath
but that didnt help at all, nor did the daily deodorant with aloe vera.
They have NEVER smelled before at all so I found this highly unusual.

4. Ceridwen also doesnt like playing AT ALL.  Helen will chase after squeeky
toys, play the towel game and the nip n chase game quite frequently while
Ceridwen seems completely and totally disinterested in all kinds of activity
but trying to get into new places (which I occassionally let her do just to
get her some kind of exercise while exploring)

5. Ceridwen is also eating like a full grown cat.  Sticking her nose in the
bowl for a full ten minutes before coming up for air.  And she doesnt really
seem to be going to the bathroom as much but thats harder to monitor as I am
not home all day.

Okay.  Took her to the vet for a brief check up and he said that she seemed
quite healthy, no fleas, ear mites, and maybe this type of shedding was
usual for her but I should monitor it and bring in a stool sample to test.

So.  My question to you vets out there is: Something is obviously wrong
with her, any ideas what? and is it worth getting her stools checked out?
and what can I do to try to make her more comfortable for the time being
until Itake her back to the vet or get this sickness resolved?

Thank you very much... :)

btw, had em about a month now so I think they have adjusted okay, they
seemed to until now... maybe some fur loss is stress related due to the
moving of environments.

Ah. Sidenote: they have also been going to the bathroom wherever they
want to lately, not necessarily even in corners, which is also odd as
they had been doing fine up until this week.  I have NO clue what could
have cuased the shift in behavior, still trying to figure it out...

Thank you again... I appreciate any help
P.S. Anyone know when the White Plains Ferret Con is in November? Saw it
posted somewheres but I cant remember when.  It was at the Westchester
County Center.  Any info would be appreciated
[Moderator's note: The vet conference is 11/12, the ferret show 11/11. BIG]

- Dave Welch, Helen, & Ceridwen