From:
juliana paulauskas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 10:45:33 -0400
Some of you may have read of Sobriety's troubles.  I just got his second
blood test done and got the results back yesterday.  The vet said that the
SGPT (?) levels (liver enzyme) was at 400 on the first test.  This new test
showed those same levels have now decreased to 93 which he considers to be
normal!  The prednisone must have really worked for him.  He now also weighs
inat 3 lbs thanks to chicken baby food and various supplements.  No more
diarrhea either. He is doing well.  Still won't eat cat food yet.

I do have a few questions however.  I am still convinced that he has an
adrenal tumor due to the hair loss even before he was diagnosed with liver
trouble and was started on corticosteriods.  He is exhibiting the same exact
symptoms as Misty who had her surgery at the beginning of summer.  The vet
wants to wean Sobriety off the medicine over a course of 2 weeks.  Then he
wants to wait one month to do something about the possibility of a tumor.

He is not completely convinced it is a tumor and thinks the hair loss is
from the prednisone but I know that this loss started way before he was on
this medicine.  He was saying something about an ultrasound exam but I heard
that these are not usually accurate.  I heard exploratory surgery is the
best way to see if there are tumors.

1. Is it dangerous to wait two weeks and then another month before doing
something about this problem?  He has already been losing hair for over a
month and 1/2 now.

2.  Should we try an ultrasound first since the vet said he needs time to
become really healthy or should we wait and just do the surgery?

Neither of us want to do anything to jeopardize Sobriety's health now that
he is getting better.  Can someone suggest the best course of action in this
situation?

Thanks,
Julie and The Fuzz Factory --Misty, Charity, and Sobriety.