From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 1995 10:51:03 -0500
Todd & Andi Lockhart <>

1) Did anyone ever really get anywhere with CBS (from May) or am I the only

fool not watching them, occassionally sending nasty email, & that spent a

fortune on stamps to send letters to advertisors (most of whom never

responded)? Should I give up?

CBS is ignoring us on the outside, but they are stabbed everytime they
receive mail or such in the form of complaints.  they, just like the HSUS,
will not admit they are wrong...

2) Did anyone respond to, or hear anything back about Elizabeth Marshall

Thomas' article in USA Today?

I did respond to the article by sending all sorts of ferret education
literature.  I have not heard back and doubt that I will.

3) Months ago I asked for help scraping little bits of plaque/tartar off my

ferrets' teeth.

I scrap teeth all the time and it depends on the instrument used for
scraping.  I was at a pet shop in Hendon, VA Saturday when a couple came up
with two ferrets and asked to have their kid's nails trimmed.  Just because
I like to look the whole animal ovcer, after the nails I looked at their
teeth - they were the NASTIEST looking things, especially for 3 & 4 year
olds.  Looks like their former owners fed them Tender Vittles!

I used a new scraper that I bought at a ferret show and I was not as
graceful as I am at home with an old but reliable scraper.  Basically, put
the scraper at the top of the tooth at the gum line, feel for the ridge that
the tartar forms, and pull away from the gum line.  The tartar should pop
off, usually in chunks (try not to let the ferret swallow these) and if the
gums bleed and you can not see what you are doing, stop until another day.

If you scrape the teeth every 6 months, it will be much easier to keep them
clean.  If you can maintain the teeth, but can't get the initial tartar off,
call your vet and the charge should be from $15 to $60 depending on how much
work is involved and if there are any bad teeth to pull.

Pam