From:
Steven Markowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 17:52:35 EDT
Hi everyone -

I haven't posted in a while but again I have been asked a question that I
just can't seem to find the answer to.  A CIS member has a ferret who got a
strange fever and we don't seem to be able to track down the cause.  The
following is a portion of his message to me indicating the syptoms:

-= I also have a problem with Snoopy, the 18 month old male that I belong
to.  He recently had something that I would prefer that he didn't get again.
As I told you earlier, I am a truckdriver and sometimes emergency care is
very difficult if possible at all to find for the guys.  Dr.  Lipham was not
able to give any Ideas.  He suffered a fever of 104.5 and was very pink to
read on his belly and around his lips, nose and eyes.  He slept constantly
for almost four days after the fever broke.  His stools stayed constant and
he continued to eat though not as much.  I took him into Dr.  Lipham about 8
days after the bout and found out that we had a pretty bad case of ear mites
but nothing that would contribute to the fever.  Snoopy is putting on his
winter coat.  In the Ferret FAQ, they mention that this is a very stressful
time.  Could this be a factor?  There was no more sneezing or coughing than
normal, so I don't contibute it to a cold.  I may be wrong there.  Any
thoughts?

    This has been 3 weeks ago and Snoopy seems to be feeling OK and is
starting to play with T.J.  more.  He does seem to sleep more now and wants
to be held and is more "cuddley" than ever.  <My wife loves that :-)> Could
this be a perminant change to his personality?  Any thoughts?  =-

So, anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this?  Appreciate any
help you all can give me.  I try to give the best ferret information I can
but I'm neither a vet or a ferret expert.

Hope you all can help me out.

Steven Markowitz (Ferret Section Leader)(Animals Forum - GO PETSTWO)
(PetsForum Group)(Compuserve)