From:
Tricia-Anne Ferretty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 20:11:36 -0400
First I would like to start off by saying that Ferris is now fine!
I used to think my house was 100% ferret proof, I now know that there is NO
such thing!  But boy did I learn the hard way!
Last Wensday at about 7pm I decided I was going to cut nails, so I went and
got the fuzzies together and started.  When I got Ferris he was very sleepy,
I did his nails and he pretty much slept through the whole thing.  I did not
think this was to odd because I used to do his nails when he was little all
the time while he was sleeping.  About a half hour went by and I went to
check on him and he was still asleep, this time I thought he was just a
little Too sleepy.  I checked his temp. and that was fine, but he was not
resisting it to much which told me there was something wrong.  Gave him a
thurough look over and everything looked normal.  He just did not want to do
anything.  I put food and water infront of him and he eat some and drank some
and went back to sleep.  5 mins later I checked him and he was sleeping so
soundly he scared me ALOT but I put the tube of Nutrical in front of him and
his head perked right up and he ate some.  Back to sleep he went.  I made a
phone call and while I was on the phone he got up and went in to the bedroom.
 I can remember being on the phone and saying "oh, he must be feeling better
he just got up and went in the other room".  When I got off the phone I went
to find him.  He went to sleep in the closet, but when I slid the door open
enough to get him, there to my horror was an old pill box on the closet floor
open and half a Compazine that had the sugary coating all licked off it and
pieces had been chewed off it.  (also lying next to it was an old pocket book
that had been way up on the top shelf even out of my reach- this is where the
pill box had to have been since I hadn't used it or the Compazine in 5 years-
one of the monsters must have climb up a dress and then up the shelves)  Now
I am in shock and horror!  How could I have let this happen!  By this time it
was about 9pm I called my vet but she was out of town and the answering
service reffered me to the animal emergency clinic they were an hour away so
I called and they told me that at this point there was nothing I could do and
to watch him for seizures and to watch that he did not go comatose.  (this
was not reasuring, especially since they did not feel I should bring him in)
I told them what his temp was and they ask about the color of his gumline
which I had checked when I took his temp and everything was normal.  They
told me it would run through his system in 6 hours and since I first noticed
it at 7 he should be coming around in a few hours.  Well it was Not 6 hours
it was 26 hours total- of living hell!  Through the whole time he would eat
and drink if you put the food infront of him.  I had to put him in the litter
box afew times so he would poop but I kept having to wipe off his belly
because his little boy parts were leaky.  Then all of a sudden he just lept
up and has been fine since then.
SO please even if you think or "know" there is nothing they can get into
continuely check!  I thought I "knew" there was nothing in the pocketbooks on
the top shelf, I was very wrong!  This was a horrifying experience!
A terrible mom,
Tricia