From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 07:22:04 -0500
To Sue Kocher:

Yuck.....I just read a story on the Boxer Mailing List where someone's
boxer ate a huge bug and then started drooling, and vomited the thing
up alive...(pt-u-ee).  I'm sure the bugs of today leave a lot to be
desired, what with all the pesticides and such being sprayed everywhere.
Probably not a healthy, first-choice snack.  But the ferrets/dogs don't
know that - in the wild (not to imply that ferrets are) bugs are somewhat
of a staple, but I agree with you - eating "city" (or shall we call them
domesticated?) bugs probably shouldn't be encouraged.

To Kathleen Cheeseman:

I have to agree with you on the reaction to the use of Tribrissen.  Not
to undermind anyone's situation or problem - when it hits someone
personally, it becomes hard to be objective about any drug involved in
any given situation.  Your analogy of penicillen is a good example.
Why, even when using chloramphenicol, the label warns the handler to
wear gloves as the drug can apparently be absorbed through the skin and
affect bone marrow production, if I remember correctly (Dr Williams please
correct me if I got that wrong) - and yet it has its place in vet medicine.
Several years ago I was given Demerol following surgery, and it took about
1 1/2 days for them to realize I was allergic to it.  Once they switched
to a different med, the rash cleared up and I stopped vomiting.  Sometimes
you just don't know until after you've tried it.

To the poster asking about clumping litter:

It's not that ferrets intentionally eat this stuff, but that it can be
ingested as they clean (lick) themselves.  The swallowed particles apparently
collect in the stomach/intestines and have been known to cause blockages
and extreme dehydration - this has been reported from at least one cattery
in CA, whose problems immediately resolved once they stopped using the
clumping litter.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY