From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 16:43:45 -0500
At the risk of upsetting the Anon.  poster who felt that non-vets perhaps
should not be posting vet advice, I'll add my $0.02 worth.

$0.01 - First, I agree, but .  .  .  .  Such advice should be given only as
"Advice", and taken only for the value paid ("nothing"), but I do like to
hear about other's experience with various "medical" problems and solutions.
If I hear something of interest, I ask our vet his opinion.  It's a useful
source of information for me.

$0.01 - Ear Mites.  I am NOT a vet or vet tech.  When we've had ear mite
problems in the past, our vet would mix up a very dilute solution of
Ivermetcin (sp - see I told you I wasn't a vet).  We would apply a couple of
drops in each ear and "work it in".  Repeated in 10 days.  No more ear
mites.  Worked quickly and easily.  No shots required.  (I personally don't
like to get my ferrets any shots that they don't *have* to have.  I've seen
too many reactions to the standard series - distemper and rabies.)

OK, a bonus point.  To the poster who felt that they weren't going to give
their ferrets any vaccinations for fear of a reaction.  In my opinion, not a
good idea.  Although reactions do occur, they are relatively rare.  (We've
handled about 300 ferrets and I've seen fewer than 10 allergic reactions.
We've never lost one to a reaction.) If the vet gives the vaccinations, they
will have what it takes there to handle it.  Distemper is 100% fatal in
ferrets and it is a very painful death.  Only if the ferret had exhibited a
very severe reaction to a previous distemper vaccination would I even
consider not vaccinating - my opinion.  I do give pediatric benadryl (check
with your vet for the amount for your ferret) about 45 minutes - to an hour
before hand, and I do stay 30 minutes in the vet's office afterward.

          Dick B.