From:
Real Dufour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 20:42:17 -0400
We got our first ferret about 3 months ago, and I've been reading this list
since then.  Regularly, someone is asking what it is like to get a one, so
here is a description of our life since we got "surprise" at the local
animal shelter.  Sorry if it's a bit long, but I'm hoping that some of you
who are thinking about getting your first ferret will find this interesting.
Tip #1: Most animal shelter won't take your name if you want to adopt a
certain dog or a cat, but will gladly get your name if you're interested in
something special, like a ferret, parrot, budgie, etc because they have a
hard time finding someone for them, mainly because most people don't even
think about going there to get one!  I gave my name to one, and got a phone
call within a couple of weeks!  Tip #2: Do not believe the document that the
previous owner filled out at the shelter.  Sure enough their pet was perfect
(they want someone to adopt them no?).  But heck, apart from the part where
the guy wrote that my little "surprise" was not a plant digger, yes, it was
almost perfect.  (She can transplant two six foot plants in less than one
minute!) Tip #3: I got this tip from this list!  Do not bath the little
beast.  Here's the story.  First day, one bath.  Stink.  3 days later, bath,
stink the next day.  I know, the faq say not more than once a week...  But
heck, it does stink.  Within the first 2 weeks, 5 baths.  Then my wife said,
it's her, or it's me!  First call for help on the list.  Most answers: Stop
bathing!  3 months later, not one more bath ever, the beast smell awfully
good, and if we divorce, I get the house and the kid, my wife keep
"Surprise".  (O.K.  We also replace the bed/cushion every 3 days, using an
cat odor spray on the cushion, maybe once or twice before a change).  I
swear, she smell good now!  We all keep stuffing our nose into her fur!  Tip
#4: Not all ferret love raisins and tennis balls, our doesn't.  But we have
to limit her to "only" half a banana per day!  (Still have to find a toy
that will work after 21 different balls of all sizes, and 7 cat/dog toys)
Tip #5: Have fun ferretproofing your house.  I'm almost done now (3 months?)
It's true that "Surprise" can wander everywhere in the house except the
basement (No way I'm proofing a basement!).  BTW, yes they do teleport!  Top
shelf of a closet.  Only short clothes hanging?  And she's not a jumper...
Tip #6: Clean the litter box at least daily.  One per floor.  Surprise use
always the same corner, maybe a second one if too dirty, but that's it,
after that, anything goes (Never happen now, we're well trained.  When she
use it, we clean it almost right away!).  Tip #7: Build a ladder so your pet
can get out of the bath after she's done licking the soap residue (talk
about stupid thing you do for your ferret eh?).  Tip #8: Don't bother
proofing your aquariums, they have to drink water anyway, and meet the other
pets in the house!  (Yes, high in nitrates, but perfect PH, and no chlorine!
Tip #9: Fun game for a lonely ferret: Chase the tall 200 lbs human and play
hide and seek with him until he fall exhausted on a bed (that's me) Tip #10:
Ferret and kid?  I though my 5 year old son was too rough with her, until I
found out she was bugging him for a good fight while he was watching a
Disney video!  First month, he would not let her alone.  Last two month:
"Where the heck is that little human, it's time for our daily ruffle/fight!"
She did bite me hard when I was playing rough with her, but never, never did
bite my kid...  Go figure!

Get a ferret, you will not regret it!

Real (Just turned 38)

Me: "Ahhhh, I've to run, there's a 2 lbs fur ball chasing me!"
Surprise: "Me digging plants? Hey, where do you think I got my four black
legs! You should have known better!"
My wife: "How much would a little baby ferret (kit) cost? She's lonely"
(Remember, she was divorcing me, 3 months ago, because of that "ferret"?
And now she want's a second one...)