From:
Craig Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 12:01:25 EDT
This was originally posted on August 26 with a copy of a story written by
my wife about Hurricane Andrew and "Charlie's" influence on our involement.
I have been waiting to see if Bill was going to put in out there but I
guess it was too large to fit as it would have almost been an issue of its
own.  The following is a very brief summary.

On August 25 "Charlie" the founding ferret of the now defunct Houston Area
Ferret Association succumed to liver cancer after a year long battle.
Charlie was the reason that my wife Carole and I got involved with ferrets
and the reason that we were on this list when the cry for help came from
Florida 3 years ago.  He also made us aware of the lack of knowledge by the
general public and even most of our local vets.  In return for his love we
started the HAFA and went around on weekends to different pet stores large
and small and did a days worth of ferret educating and sharing.

We had a lot of help from many other clubs throughout the country putting
together our knowledge base.  So when the cry for help from South Florida
came 3 years ago we responded.  After much of it was over Carole our club
newsletter editor wrote an excellent article telling how things had gone on
a day by day basis.  Because of "Charlie's" influence we and others
throughout the country banded together to help our own in time of need.

Katy Fritz from the Compuserve Small Animals forum once called Charlie our
media darling.  He managed to make local radio (in name only, wasn't much of
a talker), local pet magazine and the now defunct Houston Post.  He was
loved by all he ever met, and while we were starting the club he met alot of
people and was one of the best ambassadors any ferret club could ask for.

The article written by Carole was published in several newsletters
nationwide at the time.  It shows just how large an area that Charlie
affected during his 5 years here with us, he will be missed by many people
and the ferrets he helped in one way or another.  Thanks to this list, Chris
it's founder and all who helped at the time and have helped ferret-kind
since.

If anyone would like a copy of the story email me direct and I will get it
out to you.

WE MISS YOU CHARLIE.

Carole & Craig Hopkins

PS: Sorry about the size of the original Bill but I thought it appropriate
as a memorial to Charlie.

[Moderator's note: It was appropriate and I would have gladly put it at the
end of a small issue.  I kept replying to you pointing out how pieces of
what you were sending were garbled beyond recognition and, indeed, how an
entire section was missing (since you were sending in several parts), but
I never was able to collect an entire clean copy.  I figured you just gave
up!  Perhaps this way will work better then.  BIG]