From:
Rochelle Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 20:29:46 -0400
We found a couple of fleas on one of our fosterees last week - we
immediately washed all the ferrets (and searched them!), and washed all the
bedding.  Twice since we've found another 1 or 2, but we think we've got it
under control for right now (any time a ferret scratches, we do another
check!).  But it got me started looking for flea dips, just in case.  I
wanted to find one that was just pyrethins - but all the pyrethin ("kitty
safe") sprays and dips that I've seen also contain "piperonyl butoxide", or
both that and "N-octyl bicycloheptane dicarboximide".  I know there are a
number of chemists on the list - can any of you translate for me?  (grin).
(A pet store person tried to convince me they were just stabilizers, but I
find it hard to believe a stabilizer would be in the "active ingredient"
section).  Also, do pure pyrethin products really exist?  I'm hoping to
avoid the stuff anyway (we've traced the fleas' origin to a dog who's on
Program, so maybe this won't be an infestation!), but I'm not sure if I just
need to look through more pet stores, or if they're really hard to find and
need to be special-ordered....

thanks!
-rochelle, and...
  P. B. floyd (why did they only attack me?)
  butter (I'm not sweet enough to get any fleas...)
  falstaff (hey floyd, if I bite you enough, will that get rid of them?)
  fezzik  (I DON'T WANT TO BE BATHED!!!!  PUT ME DOWN!)
  shadow (yawn.)
& gruagach (YOWL!  Get these ferrets off me!)