From:
Ellen Van Landingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 12:36:30 +0100
Re: sexing your ferret.
You'll be pleased to hear that the apparent absence of external genitalia is
a sign of a healthy female ferret (they're really there, of course, but
they're not at all obvious unless you know what you're looking for).  You
would only notice her vulva if she were in heat (*not* healthy, unless you
planned to breed her) or suffering from a hormone-producing medical
condition such as an adrenal tumor.  So congratulations, it's a girl!

Re: flying ferrets
> She's six months old.  Is she EVER going to stop flinging herself
> around and sit still?
Well, our weasel who though he could fly (only 1 of 7 so far) did
eventually stop flinging himself around and sit still... at age 7,
about 6 months before he went over the Rainbow Bridge.  The good news
is that they lose some altitude as they get older and heavier.

Re: cleaning ears.
At our house, this is a four-handed job: one party scruffs the ferret,
engaging the Off Switch, and the other wields the Q-Tips.  If you have only
two hands available, the Linatone-on-the-tummy trick also works.  Our vet
advised us not to use peroxide in their ears; we've found that a drop or two
of mineral oil on the Q-Tip helps to soften ear wax.  Hint: in cold weather,
warm the oil first by placing the bottle in a bowl of hot water.  And any
time you're planning to give Coco a bath, do that first before cleaning her
ears -- exposure to soap and water makes the job much easier.

Hope this helps.  Enjoy your new ferret -- and if she ever slows down enough
for you to get a look at her, be sure to tell us what she looks like!

ellen and the Gang Of Four
(Banjo, Rip Van Weasel, Mike's Fault, and no-name-yet, the latest rescue)