From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 1995 23:57:42 -0700
To Sheena Staples:

>I recently rescued a ferret from underneath a woman's patio and the
>first thing I noticed was that on eye is extremely protruded and almost
>twice the size of her other one.  It's also a milky white colour and she's
>obviously blind.

I think we'd better get this one to the vet as soon as possible.  The signs
that you describe are classic for glaucoma, which is uncommon in ferrets.
Glaucoma is an icrease in pressure and fluid in the eye, which over time,
will cause the globe to increase in size, and stretch the cornea - which
causes the milky coloring that you described.  Glaucoma is a painful
condition.  At this point, as there ahs definitely been damage to the eye,
and most likely also the retina, removal of the eye is probably the only
prudent action.  Medication can work when caught early, but I don't think
that is the case here.  In glaucomatous eyes, the increased pressure usually
causes th retina to atrophy to nothing, damages the optic nerve, and often
causes displacemtn of the lens.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR