From:
Rebecca Clayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 12:01:18 -0400
Hi, all!

I've been having some problems with one of my parrots, an African Grey
named Katie, and Carlysle, my 1.5 year-old (spayed) female ferret.  Until
recently, they took no notice of each other.  However, Katie has fallen
(or jumped) off her perch a couple of times in the last month, and each
time, Carlysle has come running, grabbed Katie, and attempted to drag her
away.  So far, no harm has come to either critter, but obviously, this
could be fatal to the parrot (and potentially dangerous to the ferret,
because that is one powerful bird beak.  My hands are swollen and sore
from weasel and parrot bites from breaking up an encounter day-before
yesterday.)

I know there are several people on the list with ferrets and birds;
I was wondering how other people manage keeping them safely away from
each other.  At present, my parrots perch on their unlocked cages at all
times, my three cats are at large in the house (BTW, they are afraid of
the parrots, and don't mess with them), and Carlysle is in her cage except
when I am at home and awake. The parrots sulk and refuse to eat when I
cage them, and they live in my kitchen, which has no door.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you all may have about re-configuring the
house. Reply to me off-list if you think this wouldn't be of general
interest.

Rebecca Clayton   [log in to unmask]

P.S.  B.I.G.--an important reason this list is so worthwhile is your tireless
moderator-ship. Thanks!