From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 20:06:13 -0400
We are very happy to report that Alabama, Georgie, Tennesse, North Caroline,
South Carolina and the majority of Florida shelters are doing O.K.  Most
shelters either sustained no damage or little damage.

We have one shelter which we are still trying to contact  - but since the
shelter was on a Major Air Force Base we feel relatively sure animals are
being taken care of.

There is major damage in the western panhandle of Florida.  We are still
unsure of how many person and animals are homeless - we will do our best to
keep you abreast of the situation as we receive information.  Bay County,
Santa Rosa County and Okaloosa County shoreline communities have been almost
totally destroyed.

Our Georgia people report it's very wet there and they lost power for
several hours but are otherwise alright.

Alabama shelter is experiencing a influx of animals but feel it is a
temporary (1 - 3 months) situation until people can get housing.

Thank you all for the E-Mail messages - offers of assistance and prayers.

Although they are not on the FML we wish to thank the Paul Kershner -
President of the Network of Humane Organization of Florida, Inc.  for
working with us to establish shelter status.  Also we would like to thank
West Volusia County Humane Society for their CONSTANT vigilance and repeated
reports and phone calls.  WVCHSUS was a major help to us during the rescue
of the Hurricane Andrew Ferrets.  WVCHSUS was also the first to call us
about the status of ferret shelters after Opal hit.  The WVCHSUS were up and
ready to respond with a fully packed van and technical personal.

For those of you who use to support HSUS in Washington - you might want to
consider making contributions to you local HSUS - the ones you know will be
there for you.  If you want to contribute to a HSUS Organization but want to
insure it goes to one that really supports ferrets every day as well as
having a track record of coming to the rescue of ferrets during times of
disaster I might suggest you donate to the West Volusia County Humane
Society.  If you wish to donate please E-mail [log in to unmask] privately and I
will give you their address.

We will continue to monitor the counties which Opal struck and keep you
advised.  Also for those of you whom I am sure are wondering - yes we are
watching what Tropical Storm Pablo is doing - when and if it threatens the
U.S.  we will send out a message.

Again - thank you all for your kindness

(Background noise of ferrets at the shelter clapping their paws in thanks)

Chere McCoy
Ferret Friends Disaster Response International