From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 02:46:32 -0700
>All he is showing now is "classical" signs of ulcers.  I was wondering
>if there might be anything else I can do for him or give him (where are
>those miracle drugs)?  He now only volunteers perhaps 3cc of food simply
>to please me.

    Danny -

    I wish I had a miracle drug for Buster.  I would suggest, though,
reinstituting the Amoxi and 1/15th of a ground Pepto tablet every six hours
for the ulcers.  To my knowledge, Baytril will not do anything for
Helicobacter, so we may see the Helicobacter bloom again.  If Buster is not
vomiting, I don't think that the Reglan is needed, and may actually be
depressing his appetite.

    Debbie is right in that Buster may not want tot take a lot of food at
once.  Because fo the ulcers, each time he puts food in his stomach, it
hurts.  If he can keep only a small amount in there, the acid secretion
may not be enough to get the ulcer going.

    I'm going to mention one other possibility here, that the ulcer is
secondary to another problem such as some type of tumor.  Your description
of Buster as being just a bag of bones sounds like more than an ulcer, and
the history of a non-reponsive fever may often be seen in animals with
tumors.  I don't want to give up on Buster, and we need to keep treating
for those ulcers, but on his next visit to the vet, make sure the vet
checks him over thoroughly for anything that he/she may have missed the
fist time.

   All we can do is go back on the Amoxi/Pepto/bland diet treatment, and
treat for what we know he has.  Hang in there....

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath