From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 22:33:46 -0700
To Deb Riccio:

     This was buried in a post on Tribrissen:

    >Why, even when using chloramphenicol, the label warns the handler to
>wear gloves as the drug can apparently be absorbed through the skin and
>affect bone marrow production, if I remember correctly (Dr Williams please
>correct me if I got that wrong) - and yet it has its place in vet medicine.

    Yes, that's a very good example of a drug that has had it's share of
problems.  Because of a small number of cases of bone marrow depletion in
humans, CHPC has been removed from all human pharmacy shelves, and most
veterinary pharmacies as a result.  Most pharmacy houses won't even make it
anymore.  However, in animals, which have a far smaller reaction rate, it
is an excellent antibiotic, and the drug of choice for proliferative
colitis.  When indicated, I will not hesitate to use it in small animals,
but there is a very small risk of bone marrow complications.  I would hate
to see this drug become unavailable because of the human doctors' vehement
aversion to it....

    The key is that the owner should be apprised of any risk when a drug is
started.  If your vet doesn't mention possible risks when stating therapy
on your pet, then it's your responsibility to ask.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath