From:
Cindy Sooy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 18:49:00 UTC
I also have a 5 y.o. gib, Cocoa who has put on a lot of weight in the last 3
months all in his abdomen. My vet stuck him to check for fluids but its not
fluids and his heart seems to be normal. She took x-rays and they were
negative. He is eating and drinking a lot which she said are signs of
Cushing disease in dogs but she isn't sure what that would mean in a ferret.
Would that also be a sign of adrenal tumors? He doesn't have the saggy belly
like you see with adrenal problems, he has "saddlebags" (the weight is all
on the sides like you would see with an obese ferret). All the extra weight
is in his abdomen. His spine and hips are prominent. He's gotten to the
point that it interferes with his walking a little. His coat is okay, no
hair loss on his tail or hind end. Any ideas? Should I get him tested for
adrenals? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cindy