From:
"HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 09:55:29 EDT
I'd like to say that I completely agree with Michelle about the HSUS
material on ferrets.  I think we are all very special people here :-)
because our ferrets have been able to train us to live with them, but
not everybody is trainable.  Education is absolutely the key to ensuring
that the general public knows what is involved in ferret ownership. IMHO
a large problem is that when ferrets are displayed in pets stores (where
most people encounter them) they are kept with the rabbits, guinea pigs,
gerbils, etc., which may lead customers to think of ferrets as being
like these animals-- not particularly smart and in a cage all the time.
Ferrets are carnivores and if they are going to be in pet stores they
ought to be displayed with the carnivores, which will lead customers to
realize, a-ha, this animal will require as much work as a dog or a cat.
Sorry to preach to the converted, but Michelle, you're not alone in
feeling the way you do.

Also for Michelle-- how about keeping the cage open and on the floor
in the new room?  My Amelia is never confined to her cage at home, but
she will sometimes go in it.  It keeps her familiar with the cage too
so that when we are at other peoples' homes and she needs to be caged
it isn't such a big deal.

And what else... Oh, kitchens.  So far, duct tape and cardboard have
kept Amelia out of the fridge and stove.  Eventually I plan to build
something more permanent and more aethetically pleasing out of wood.

And something else not in the header-- We're giving Amelia a slab of
marble to recline upon in the heat, because for physical reasons that
I can't remember, marble always feels cool. Hopefully if we put her
favorite towel on it she'll catch on.  I'll let people know if it works.

Regina and Amelia, who asks to be hand fed raisins on her marble couch