From:
Stan Siatkowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 16:03:50 -0400
I seriously need some input from FML readers, and would appreciate your

My municipality (City of York, in Metropolitan Toronto) currently is a
Ferret-Free Zone. The current By-Laws allow only dogs, cats, rabbits and
pigeons as pets, but the By-Law is under review and is undergoing a
significant overhaul. I was recently contacted by the City animal control
office and asked for input as to how many ferrets should be allowed per
household. The City feels it needs to limit numbers of pets so we don't
end up with 100-cat bag ladies and the like, which is understandable,
health-wise, both for the people and the animals. Their suggestion is a
maximum of 2, but with a "grandfather clause" so owners wouldn't have to
get rid of their current pets. They won't accept "the proper number of
ferrets to own is one more than you already have."

What I would like to have information on is, how many ferrets are legal
per household in various municipalities, states, provinces, etc., in the
US and Canada. Could you please contact me as soon as possible (I'd like
to have some input for the City by Monday) with any information you may
have. It would have to be verifiable, and it would be helpful if I could
quote a source or contact person for each region. If you live in a FFZ,
I'd like to be honest and include that info, but I would of course not
include names if you want to remain anonymous.

Thanks for your attention and help.

Stan, Terrie & Jen, with Mookie, Psycho, Cecil & Cocoa in Toronto