From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 1995 06:45:11 -0500
Chris,

I also have 2 ferrets that eat cloth.  There's not much you can do except
try to keep that stuff away from them.  I don't give them blankets or
towels to burrow in because they eat it.  They get regular doses of Laxatone.
My vet said if they haven't outgrown it by now, they won't (they're 4 yrs old).

As far as the greenies:  I'll bet the yellow liquidy stuff you're seeing is
very bad diarrhea....it's foamy and frothy, looks real yellow and mucousy -
almost like vomit - but I'll bet it's diarrhea.  I've had similar problems
with the greenies.

My guys took an awfully long time to recover.  The "seedy-looking stool"
in my case, took almost a year to resolve.  I have 4 ferrets now that have
suffered permanent intestinal damage from the greenies, and they still have
occasional bouts of diarrhea.  The only thing they can eat without getting
diarrhea is Totally Ferret.  I used Centrine (prescription) to control the
diarrhea until I found out the TF worked all by itself.

My RJ was extremely lethargic after the greenies.  I must have been driving
my vet (as well as Dr Williams!) crazy because he wasn't acting normal.
After blood panels and exams that revealed nothing, I came to accept that
his system was really wiped out and he needed time to recuperate.

I would suggest you have your lethargic ferrets examined to be sure nothing
else is going on - he may want to draw blood as well, but in some cases
it does take a long time to recover - and any secondary illnesses or stress
can trigger green diarrhea symptoms all over again - at least in my case.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY