From:
Jazmyn Concolor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 1995 16:08:39 -0700
  After a long talk with someone from the USDA Animal Welfare I found that
the CA Fish & Game is supposed to allow people stopped at the agriculture
stations the option of turning back and taking the ferret out of the state
again.  They DO NOT have the right to destroy the animal at the station
unless the person refuses to take the animal back out of CA.  They cannot
just take a ferret and gas it without allowing the person to take it back out
of CA again.  I have heard though about cases where the CA F&G HAS killed
ferrets at the border and given the owner no chance to remove the animal from
the state at all.  Such people do have a case in court and can sue the F&G
for oversteping their bounds.  DO NOT let the F&G harrass you and report any
harrassment to CDFA or some other organization that can keep track of this and
use it as evidence that the CA F&G is not working as it should.
  Note that the CA F&G are allowed to carry weapons and act as police, but have
none of the training of a law enforcment official.  I've heard of cases where
the F&G has threatened and harrassed indiviuals in the past and WE MUST NOT
allow this to happen!  Our tax dollars pay these people and they should not
have the right to behave like little KGB agents.  They should stick to the job
of selling deer tags and leave domestic ferrets and other exotic pets alone.