Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 20:25:28 -0400
ARGH.

Okay, we did it.  We skipped class, went to the pet store, it had a new
shippment of very young ferrets, and we (gulp) bought one.

Something I said I wasn't going to do because I couldn't afford it...and
I can't.

Anyway, she is as-of-yet un-named, and only SIX WEEK OLD.  She is SO TINY.
I mean, she fits in the palm of my hand...unlike Coco who is easily the
size of a....a....six month old ferret..?  You need two hands to hold Coco,
but this lil' girl....well, let's just say she's tiny.

And she got dropped at the pet store, and did the SQUEAL that I hope to
never, ever hear in my life again.  she had crawled up into Mel's coat
sleeve, and I was trying to get her out, and she fell, and I think it
knocked the breath of our of her in a BIG way, because she let out a
screeeeeatchh that brought nearly every person in the pet store and almost
brought Mel to tears....but she is fine now.

So...we brought her home, she seems perfectly fine with the dogs who snif
her, to death, but Coco had excitedly picked her up by the ear and was
dragging her off under the couch (making a pretty pathetic hissing noise
the whole way) when we rescued her and put Coco back in her cage....Coco
is now really miffed, because "we got her a new toy and won't let her
play with it." We are setting up a second temporary cage for a while
until they can (hopefully) live together in Coco's big cage...so...

WE NOW HAVE TWO FUZZIES.

Questsions:

Will she GROW?  Is her being so tiny a problem?  Should we feed her
anything special?

Will Coco maul her to death before she grows any?  Can they play together?
When?  What to look for?

Oh.  Description.  :-) Coco, if you remember, is a sterling silver--white
undercoat with black guard hairs.  White feet, white face.  The new
one...not named yet...is ADORABLE...a sable, with all white toes on her
front feet (does this make her a "silver mitt??), a tuxedo white bib under
her chin and down her chest and--this is the funniest--a distinct white
stripe on her head.  And about a fourth of Coco's size.

Off to figure out a name for her...

Laurel
Quincey and Brigit "you brought us pigs' ears from the pet store...who
cares about the new pet?"
Maud the cat "new what?  I'm OUTTA here..."
and Coco "lemme at'her!  lemme at'her!!! I'm gonna dig a hole in this
cage if you don't lemme at'her!!!!"

"a complicated life has so many opportunities..." -Karen Finley