From:
"Salinas, Ludivina" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 17:16:00 PDT
Hello.

I am the proud mom of an 11 week old sable male.  His name is Anthony (Tony)
 - after St. Anthony of Padua (I figured we could use all the help we could
get!  :-)  )

He is my first ferret and *such* a joy!!!!  I also have a dog whose name is
Chiquita ('Quita).  I've had her about 20 years.  She's a spoiled little
mutt (half chihuahua / half fox terrior).

I have been an FML subscriber for about a month now...and have loved every
minute of it.  I have laughed and cried a lot.  It is so good to talk
(listen) to others who feel the same way about animals that I do.  Not
everyone does, as I'm sure everyone has learned over the years.

I do have one question to toss out there...  Does anyone have any tips on
how to help my two babies - especially 'Quita in this transition.

Tony is, of course, playful and rambunctious :-).  'Quita is very mellow,
can't see too well and very patient.  She is used to being the only *baby*
in the house and having it to herself 24 hours a day.  I keep Tony in his
cage and take him out for supervised play as often as possible.  I did
introduce them slowly.  However, Tony gets excited and wants to play and she
doesn't.  She runs from him and is fearful.  I've been trying to teach him
that he should leave her alone.  But, it's *very* hard for him.  I've tried
scolding him as soon as he chases her and flicked his nose and put him in
his cage.  After a short period of time, I'll let him out to play again.
And, they're off....  I was only able to flick/thump his nose two or three
times - then just couldn't do it anymore (it hurt me more!).  It has gotten
to where I put her in my room while he is out.  I would feel so much better
if they could be out and around at the same time.  *sigh*  The only thing I
have not tried is scruff/scold.

So, what do you think?  Am I just being an anxious parent?  Do they just
need time?  Will Tony always chase/nip at 'Quita?

Sorry to have taken so much space and time.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the joy and sorrow you trust us (*me*)
with.

Goodbye from Austin, Texas,

Ludivina Salinas
(32  year old mom)
Tony - (the wild, broncing ferret from Texas) "  'Quita, let's rodeo!"
'Quita - (the mellow, confused baby whose rodeo days are over)  "What is he,
mom?  I don't see him too well, but I can smell him coming"