From:
Jen Marin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 22:41:59 -0400
I know that I have read in many places that pine shavings are bad for
ferrets' respiratory systems.  My question is:  Are pine shavings still
dangerous if they are below the grate in a typical ferret cage where the
ferret cannot actually stick his head in them?

Finnegan's cage is lined with linoleum (very easy to clean) & the other day I
noticed a particularly bad smell.  I cleaned his box, but that wasn't the
source.  The smell was coming from under the linoleum, in the drop pan.  A
bunch of Finn's food had fallen into the pan-- no big deal.  But his water
bottle leaks, and the combination was pretty rancid.  I was considering
putting some shavings down there to absorb the excess moisture, & thereby
solve the problem.  Since the shavings won't be moving a lot, there shouldn't
be a great amount of pine odor being emmited.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks once again!
Elfyr & Finnegan